Friday 25 November 2011

Nine Deadly Sins?

So I figured it was about time that I write something on this blog and get it back into action. As I currently have nothing to complain about, I figured this is as good of a topic as ever. I want to talk about the 7 deadly sins. As I have done previously, I will be making extensive use of Google Definitions. However, when I began to look these up, I realized that in wikipedia there is actually 9 deadly sins...

Lust
"A very strong sexual desire". I highly doubt there is anyone on Earth that hasn't or won't have"very strong sexual desires" at some point during their lives. Hell, I'm about as emotionally stunted as a person can come and even I've lusted after people. Isn't lust a much nicer word than saying you have a very strong sexual desire for someone? However, it definitely isn't as 'to the point' as saying to someone "I have a very strong sexual desire for you.." or "I desire you strongly.. in the pants.".

Gluttony
"Habitual eating to excess". I type this as I'm down to my last square of a block of chocolate that I started eating only an hour ago.. Actually, I take that back.. I have no more chocolate as I am typing this. I know that I didn't need to eat the entire block of chocolate. And it wasn't even emotional eating or anything like that. When I'm eating something, I'll be really enjoying it to start with.. And then I'll notice that there's only 1 more row until half the block is gone, so I say to myself; Well I can't leave it like that. That just looks ridiculous. Then I'll forget about what I was trying to accomplish, and eat some more. And finally I will realize that there is no point leaving an insignificant amount there, like, a quarter of a block. That's just not fair for when I want to eat it again!

Greed
"Intense and selfish desire for something, esp. wealth, power, or food". I think that I have a very intense and selfish desire to be better than other people. However, there are lots of people like this, but we don't call it sinning anymore. We call it having a "competitive nature".

Sloth
"Reluctance to work or make an effort; laziness". I actually left this until last because I didn't know what to write on it i.e. I was being sloth. There are always times when people are reluctant to work or to make an effort, I wouldn't nesecarily say that it's a bad thing, sometimes it just really doesn't matter if you give 100% on something, especially if the outcome is going to be no different.

Acedia
"Spiritual or mental sloth". I don't have faith. I believe that that makes me spiritually sloth. It's not that I'm arrogant enough to say that there is certainly no God, it is just that I don't know. I believe that this kind of opinion is known as being agnostic. Agnostic is defined as; Of or relating to agnostics or agnosticism. This is exactly how I would define it. But, I think that this kind of spiritual sloth would also be considered an entire mental sloth, as it's based on me being undecided. There are certain aspects of religion that I do believe in, such as the whole moral basis.. be a good person.. I believe in an afterlife and that if you're a good person that you should be rewarded.. But I don't know if this is real or not. I haven't died yet, so I can't tell you.

Wrath
"Extreme anger". I have extreme anger for a lot of things. I once had this guy as my best friend, let's call him Hatchet. I call him this because he once threw a hatchet at me while we were camping. Anyway, so Hatchet used to live with me because his mum kicked him out. He lived with me for quite a while. It was an extremely irritating experience. In fact, it was an extremely angering experience. However, we stopped being friends once he told my mother, the woman who had taken him in and looked after him, to go to hell. There is no one on Earth that can get away with being rude to my family or friends without incurring my wrath.

Envy
"A feeling of discontented or resentful longing aroused by someone else's possessions, qualities, or luck". HowlingFetus here, guest authoring this section for YourCaptainSpeaking, coz basically, I have a perfect example of envy. See, she got a boyfriend recently! My best friend! Got a boyfriend! That makes me really really happy. BUT I'm also a selfish asshole. I am undeniably jealous of her having a relationship which forces me to have slightly sub par feelings towards the whole situation. I'm less envious of her -now- than before since you know... true love conquers all and YourCaptainSpeaking is pretty great. But the point is that I was jealous (envious) of her and the boyfriend, 007, that I could have very easily killed the friendship we have. Luckily I came to my senses before any damage was done. But you know, everyone gets like this. You cant help it. It's a part of being human and to deny it is to deny your humanity. So fuck god and his rules. This sin is exempt in my eyes.

Pride
"Being especially proud of a particular quality or skill". One of the qualities that people talk about at university or at work is being able to take pride in yourself and your work. Am I being set up to go to hell by the people around me? No, I don't think so. It's good to take pride in your qualities, it gives you confidence. And confidence attracts people to you. Having pride in yourself will make people lust for you. Maybe I should write a self-help book; The 9 Deadly Sins: How to make life your Bitch. I think it would sell, and I will make tons of money. How greedy is that?

Vainglory
"Inordinate pride in oneself or one's achievements; excessive vanity". Now, I don't know if you've also realized this by now, but all these sins are basically telling you not to excessively do anything. And for the extra sins that have been added (Acedia and Vainglory), are basically stating not to excessively violate of the other deadly sins (i.e. sloth and pride). I think that's a little excessive in itself. But I do really like this word; Vainglory.

No comments:

Post a Comment